Joanie Nickel marches because...

The Womens March to me means freedom--for the present and preservation of the victories of the past--the years of women standing up for their rights as women, mothers, lovers and Americans with a voice asking to be respected. The March stands for more than my personal story, much more. I fear young and old, ignorant of our past, Americans without respect for human rights, will cause a backwards slide towards repression of human rights especially the rights of those who lack the power to resist. I respect the gifts of all the women who came before me, who sacrificed life and freedom to make us all more free. That is why I march and ask others to do also.

But...like many I have a story. I am a METOO.  I was regularly assaulted by a family member from the age of 6.5 until 8.5. I was so unaware, innocent that I did not know it was a sexual assault. I had lived 24/7 with my Gramda in an all woman's household until 6.5 years old.  I was told about the birds and the bees by my older sister at 8.5 and stopped the assault myself. I was a strong little person. I needed to be as my Mother was abusive to the entire family. She had been told of the situation but refused to accept the truth. I had to "stand up" for survival. I am now fully aware of my past but do not "live" in the past. I do not forgive or forget what was done to me by my older brother as I do not believe that sexual assault is forgivable or forgettable offense. The perpetrator cannot restore innocence or mend the cracks in the psyche. The cracks and fissures will always remain.

But I am not a survivor--I am one who thrives on life. I enjoy every minute of every day, I am full of energy and joy. I have extinguished the guilt I suffered from the abuse of my childhood.  I have triumphed not just survived. I AM a METOO!. 

Popular posts from this blog

Why Whitney Williams Marches On

Prescott's Jan Manolis Will Invest in Ed When Elected This Fall

Lois Case marches because...